the pilates is a gym that can be done daily, in the evening, in the morning or in the middle of the day. This gentle and slow sport, invented by Joseph Pilates, is inspired by several disciplines such as dance, gymnastics and yoga.
The practice and the exercises differ according to your level: beginner, intermediate or advanced. You are enthusiastic about start practicing pilates, but you don’t know how to go about it? No worries, we take stock of the best ways to understand this exercise for neophytes!
Pilates is a method of physical work which is accompanied by a particular breathing. The latter can take a little time before being mastered, you have to know how to arm yourself with patience!
Beginners can start pilates in several ways:
For those who have a busy schedule, you can also use the services of a pilates coach at home. It is also possible to learn this activity alone at home with my beginner pilates program. This will allow you to learn this practice step by step with lessons adapted to your level.
The practice of this discipline is based on the mastery of the method. Once the method is integrated, you can easily adapt the pilates sessions at your level.
Indeed, some postures will seem very hard on your first day of training and much easier with repeated sessions. You will see, you will soon gain confidence AND ease! So don’t hesitate to get started and progress!
Take time to improve
The exercises to be done during each pilates session (beginner or not) are designed to help you reach your goal step by step! From novice level to smooth experienced.
No need to rush through these exercises, especially when you start this sport at home! Pilates is both gentle and slow gymnastics.
Many people use it as a rehabilitation tool. Take the time to properly adopt the posturesand keep your focus.
Moreover, to make the most of the benefits of pilates, regular and repeated practice of the exercises is essential. Exercise daily if you can. It may seem difficult for you during the first sessions at home, but do not be discouraged. You can and you will!
My beginner pilates class on video
Here is one of my pilates videos for beginners to get started in the practice.
All my sessions help improve posture, breathing and joint flexibility. here is a original pilates session for beginners : “Rock and roll” lasting 23 min. Ideal for discovering this physical activity at your own pace.
This session includes warm-ups and exercises to start gently. You can reproduce it at home without constraints, accompanied by a comfortable mat.
Moreover, my pilates program allows you to start practicing with advice, specific videos and a training program to be guided from A to Z. If you like the video, don’t hesitate!
Warm up before starting
Any pilates session for beginners or experienced obviously begins with the traditional warm-up.
- Standing, legs well glued, feet in a V position;
- Start by placing your hands in front of you, in your field of vision;
- In this position, inhale deeply, filling your lungs well with air;
- Then exhale without moving your feet or hips.
The rest of the warm-up consists of moving the hands and shoulders slightly to the sides (without reaching too far), from left to right, from right to right. As you can see, the warm-up to prepare our pilates exercises does not present a great difficulty!
It revolves mainly around breathing (inspiration, expiration).
Video session exercises
The video pilates takes place in three phases.
- First, a little warm-up to put the body in the right conditions for the session;
- This is followed by a series of simple and easy-to-reproduce exercises at home;
- Then we end the session with some stretching.
Here are some examples of exercises that make up my beginner pilates video:
The leg lift
- Lie on the right side of your body, with your head supported by your right hand;
- During this exercise, the legs are glued and stretched diagonally;
- The left hand, meanwhile, is placed on the ground in front of you;
- Once your body is well sheathed, raise the left leg;
- Once at the top, open your foot (toes towards the ceiling) and bring the leg back down, ending with a foot closure (return your foot to the starting position).
- Place yourself on your stomach looking for the ideal placement of the pelvis (the navel in the direction of the spine);
- At this level, the hands are stretched out in front of you;
- Lift your chest and hands slightly off the floor then place your arms in the direction of the buttocks;
- Tighten your back, postural muscles, abs and spine well;
- Next, inhale and lift one leg off the ground;
- Lower your leg then repeat the movement with the other leg.
This exercise consists of finding a good position and holding your position for a short time. To do this :
- Get on all fours on the mat;
- Then adopt the plank position, keeping your back straight;
- During this exercise, the sheathing of your body must be perfect, and your arms straight!
A pilates routine to keep training
The benefits of pilates over the long term are unanimously recognized. Women adopt it for various purposes, and in particular to have a slightly flatter stomach, strengthen their pelvic floor or even complete their perineal rehabilitation. Men can also do it to work the muscles in depth.
Indeed, gymnastic exercises solicit the abdominal and hypopressive muscles. This has the effect of refining the belly thanks to the deep abdominals (this tightens the abdomen by strengthening in depth).
In addition, pilates sessions and exercises for beginners are very complementary with cardio sports in order to get the best benefits from both.
Pilates mistakes to avoid when starting out
The practice of any sport requires taking a number of precautions to avoid making certain mistakes, especially among new practitioners.
the pilates for beginners no exception to the rule!
Moreover, this physical activity is intended to be gentle and relaxing (but that does not mean ineffective!!). Take the time to do the exercises correctly.
Wanting to go too fast in the movements when you start is not profitable at all.
I end by recalling again the importance of mastering a minimum of theoretical knowledge before rubbing shoulders with the exercises. These teach you more about the principles of this sport and the rules to follow for its smooth running.
As a reminder, these principles revolve around the following points: